By Cristina Utti
If you are sober, single, and ready to start dating again (preferably after the year-long waiting period recommended by most 12-step groups), you may be worried about how to entertain your date without the use of alcohol or drugs. But there is a big, wide world out there, with much to explore and enjoy–and the best part of enjoying these places and activities while sober is that you will better connect with your date and remember what happened when you wake up the next day. Here are a few sober dating ideas:
- Local Fair: A local fair or carnival is a good place for couples to have fun. A Ferris wheel is a great place to be alone and learn about each other. Sharing food, enjoying carnival games, and winning prizes is a wonderful way to have a good time without drinking or doing drugs.
- Picnic: A picnic is another great way to have fun without substances. If you pack your bags and go to a local park, you can bond over a lunch by a river or a lake. Bring a Frisbee, rent a kayak, or go for a walk together.
- A Class: Find a subject that interests you both. You could try cooking, art, or yoga classes. Learning something new together will reveal important clues about how well your personalities match.
- Karaoke: Even though karaoke may seem better while under the influence, it can still be a fun way to spend your time. You could sing a duet, sing something way out of your range, or sing your favorite tune. Singing is one of the best ways to relieve stress. It’s a good way to get to know each other more, and get some laughs in the process.
- Board Games: Playing board games is a simple but fun way to spend time with your date. Whether it’s playing a game of Scrabble, a long game of Monopoly, or staying up all night playing cards, playing games can encourage conversation as you tell each other stories to fill the time.
- Sports: Sports for two, such as tennis, racquetball, golf, or ping pong can be fun date ideas. If you are both extremely competitive, you could try a double date so you and your date can team up instead of playing against each other.
- City Tour: Taking a tour of a city is not only a great way to get to know the city more, but also to start new conversations and find more places to go on dates. You can explore interesting cafes, museums, and shops.
- Outdoor Activities: Outdoor activities include hikes, walks in the park, bike riding, exploring unknown places, or going canoeing. Try something that requires teamwork and allows you to have some alone time with your date. Being alone on a boat in the middle of a river can be very romantic, so take some pictures and make some memories!
- Sunsets: If you drive to a hill or an open field, you can spend your night gazing at the sunset and/or the night sky with your date. Or go during the day and make pictures out of the clouds. Bring your favorite snacks or desserts to share.
Once we put down the drug and/or drink and get past the fear, the possibilities of having real enjoyment are endless. We can help you reach this joy. Contact us today at 800.218.6727.